Any Greens & Nut Pesto
I believe homemade pesto is far more delicious than the pesto you can buy in shops. Add this pesto to whole wheat or brown rice pasta. This can also make an excellent marinade for chicken breasts fish fillets.
- In a food processor, combine the greens, basil, oil, garlic and process until finely minced.
- Add the toasted nuts and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the parmesan and pulse until combined. Taste and add more oil if too stodgy.
- Storage: This can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days or kept in the freezer for 3 months (but give it a quick whizz again in a blender once it is defrosted).
- *Note on toasting: Toasting nuts and seeds bring out their flavour. To do this, preheat oven to 180c. Spread the nuts or seeds on a baking tray and leave to roast for 9-10minutes. Check regularly as they can burn very quickly.
- 20g of green leaves (rocket, watercress, spinach or even the leaves from the top of carrots)
- 90ml Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp toasted* nuts (these can be walnuts, pine nuts, cashew nuts)
- 30g Parmesan cheese