Warming Beetroot, Orange & Ginger Soup
This is an intensely rich and nourishing soup to dip homemade crusty bread into. The beetroot is rich in iron, beta-cyanin and fibre to encourage the breakdown of built up toxins and removal through the digestive system. Beta-cyanin has been shown to lower blood pressure where it is high, making it the perfect soup if life is particularly demanding. Orange is rich in antioxidant vitamin C for cellular repair and ginger's powerful volatile oils are known to fight bacterial infections as well as ease digestion and encourage circulation.
- Heat the oil in the pan, add the onion and lightly fry until soft.
- Add the potato and ginger and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the orange zest and juice, beetroot, stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until the potato is tender.
- Blend until smooth and season to taste.
- Garnish with some more orange zest and a swirl of natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed or coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 1 potato
- 2.5cm piece of fresh ginger (grated or finely chopped)
- grated zest of 1 orange
- juice of 2 oranges
- 3 medium beetroots cooked (boiled or roasted) and cut in to small dices
- 1 ½ chicken or vegetable stock (preferably fresh)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A little plain yoghurt