This nut butter is a great high protein snack, and all you need is a food processor to make it. Walnuts are a unique source of gamma tocopherol (vitamin E), a potent antioxidant which has been found to protect against heart disease. If you are a vegan or vegetarian, walnuts are also an excellent source of omega-3 in place of oily fish.
- Drain beans, reserving the liquid.
- In food processor, combine 1/4 cup reserved liquid with remaining ingredients.
- Cover and process, scraping down sides and adding liquid as needed to make a smooth mixture. Store in refrigerator 4-5 days.
- Serve with rice crackers and/or raw baby carrots, cucumber sticks, and fresh string beans (or any raw veggie you like).
- 425g chickpeas (pre-cooked or tinned)
- 55ml olive oil
- 115g chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- A large handful of fresh basil leaves
- ¼ tbsp. each salt and pepper