Beetroot & walnut hummus
Keeping batches of homemade dips in the fridge is an excellent way to keep up healthy snacking. This dip, although rich snd sweet, is high in protein and packed full of nutrients. Beetroot contains a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains which provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support.
- Boil or roast the beetroot if fresh (30-40minutes at 180C). Peel off the skins when cooled.
- Put the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, tahini into a food processor and whizz for about 30 seconds.
- Add the beetroot and whiz again until smooth.
- Add the chickpeas and whizz again until desired consistency. Reserve liquid from beans.
- Process all ingredients in a food processor.
- If mixture seems dry, add some of the reserved liquid slowly to the food processor to make a smooth paste.
- 4 small beetroot
- 2tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 tbsp walnuts (depending on taste)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 200g chickpeas