Swapping the average potato crisp for these homemade turnip crisps is a flavoursome alternative, great for snacking, parties and barbecues. Turnips are a very good source of vitamin C, dietary fibre and manganese - full of antioxidants to support healthy body function and the immune system. You may also like to substitute the turnip for parsnip, beetroot or celeriac, but be watchful when the crisps are in the oven as cooking times may alter. A perfect vegan snack.
- Preheat oven to 220c.
- Using a mandolin, or by hand, slice the turnips into slim slices.
- Toss the slices in a mixing bowl with the olive oil and salt, and arrange on a baking tray in single layers.
- Bake for 12 minutes, checking regularly, until golden brown - usually between 7-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with paprika and a spritz of lime juice and toss gently to cover.
- As they cool they become crisper but are lovely soft and warm too.
- 680g turnips, well scrubbed
- 60ml olive oil or ghee
- 1/4 tsp crushed rock salt
- 2 pinches smoked paprika
- Squeeze of lime