Cinnamon, Apple and Raisin Compote
I find the flavour of this compote develops if you cook it in advance and leave it to cool in the fridge over night. Serve it warm or cold with a generous dollop of live organic yoghurt (goat yoghurt if you are avoiding milk) or with gluten-free porridge. It also can be made in advance in batches and frozen to enjoy later!
- Heat the raisins, sultanas, lemon zest, honey, cinnamon stick and water in a saucepan over a low heat until the mixture begins to blend together and become stewed in appearance.
Meanwhilein a bowl mix the apple and lemon juice, and then add to the raisin mixture in the pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes so that the apple is soft but still holds
- Take off the heat and leave to cool.
- 30g raisins or sultanas
- 3 strips lemon zest
- 1 small cinnamon stick broken in half
- 150ml water
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 apple, sliced
- 3 dessert apples, peeled and quartered
- Juice of 1/2 lemon