Zesty Lemon Protein Balls
These protein balls are a perfect snack at any time of day and are especially useful when you're on the go such as traveling or after a workout. They also satisfy the need for a sweet snack but without the sugar, contributing to a slower and more level energy release. Additionally, almonds are a great source of monounsaturated fats, which support healthy blood cholesterol. You can make a large batch and freeze some for a later date. You can also try them with orange or lime instead of lemon.
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor and mix together until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- You can also do this by stirring everything into a bowl but it takes slightly longer. Always make sure the ingredients are well mixed in and evenly distributed.
- Shape the mixture into balls. You can roll the balls in desiccated coconut if desired.
- Store the protein balls in the fridge or freeze a batch if you've made more than you need.
- 1 cup (100g) ground almonds
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 2 tablespoons almond butter 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons (only grate the yellow zest as the white part will make the balls bitter)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Tip: If you have edible lemon essential oils you can add this to intensify the flavour.