Sesame Broccoli with Chickpeas
Using both sesame oil and sesame seeds, this dish is full of a nutty, delicate flavour. Sesame seeds are a brilliant source of copper and manganese which facilitate a number of nutritional benefits. Combining the broccoli and chickpea packs in the protein, a great vegan and vegetarian option. Alternatively, serve in a wholemeal wrap - adding bell peppers, spinach, parmesan and squeeze of lime for a delicious burrito!
- Cut broccoli into bite-sized florets. Cut the stems into small pieces and peel if they are tough.
- Bring 110ml cup water to boil. Add broccoli and sprinkle with salt. Cover and cook about 4 minutes, until broccoli is slightly tender but not soft. The water will have evaporated.
- Remove from pan to a serving dish.
- Add olive oil to a frying pan and sauté garlic and green onions over low heat for 1 minute. Add chickpeas and continue to sauté for about 4-5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Return broccoli to skillet, and add lemon juice and turmeric. Cook for 2 more minutes until broccoli is warmed. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return to serving
dishand drizzle sesame oil over before serving.
- 2 heads of broccoli (about 1 bunch)
- 425g can chickpeas beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil