Rhubarb and Cardamom Fool
Rhubarb and cardamom are the perfect match for the spring season. Rhubarb supplies a boost of antioxidants such as anthocyanidins, lutein, and lycopene (which becomes more potent when you cook it) needed to reduce vulnerability to hayfever, as well as promote sun protection. Cardamom has been used traditionally to calm the digestive system and promote detoxification.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas mark 5.
- Mix the rhubarb, honey and orange juice and zest together.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and cook in the oven for 30-45 minutes, until the rhubarb is completely soft.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Take out the cardamom pods and puree the fruit. Fold the greek yoghurt into the puree, creating a pretty ripple effect.
- The taste test: If it is not quite sweet enough, you could add a little more runny honey or maple syrup at this stage.
- 450g rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- 150ml honey (preferably local honey)
- Juice and grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 cardamom pods
- 200ml natural yoghurt (authentic greek is preferable)