Homemade Nutty Granola
Many of the granola's sold in supermarkets are sugar coated and processed. I use unpasteurised honey to sweeten this granola, which has a lesser effect on raising blood sugar levels. Unpasteurised or raw honey has not been heated, pasteurised or filtered in any way, and this typically retains more of the health promoting nutrients. You can play around with flavours, adding lemon zest, cinnamon and/or coconut flakes if you wish.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Melt the honey in a saucepan over a gentle heat with the olive oil or coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients (other than the dates).
- Pour in the oil and honey liquid and mix well.
- Spread the mixture on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until golden or until mixture is crisp and dry.
- Leave to cool completely and then store in an airtight container, adding the chopped dates.
- 50g dried dates
- 100g gluten free oats
- 2 tbsp raw or unpasteurized honey
- 85g mixed cashews & pecans
- 15g raw pumpkin seeds
- 5g flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil