Healing Chicken, wild rice & herb soup
This is a lovely warming and healthy soup for those cold winter days, particularly good if you are able to use fresh chicken stock.
- Drain well and set aside. While rice is cooking, heat oil in a medium saucepan or a wok, and sauté onions, carrots, and mushrooms for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and chicken and continue to cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer pink & vegetables are tender.
- Add the prepared rice, broth, tarragon, thyme, garlic powder & pepper and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, combine starch & coconut milk until smooth. Stir into rice mixture. Return the mixture to the boil and cook for 1-2 min or until slightly thickened.
- Garnish with green onions. Add optional lemon juice for tangy flavour. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 Cup of dry wild rice, rinsed
- 1/2 A tablespoon of salt
- 1/8 Tablespoon of pepper
- 1 Pint free-range chickenstock (fresh if you have it)
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 A tablespoon of dried tarragon
- 2 Large organic carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Tablespoon of dried thyme
- 200g Of fresh, or soaked Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 350g tin of light coconut milk
- 225g Free-range organic chicken breast, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- Optional sliced spring onions for topping