Blackberry & almond compote
This recipe is a quick and simple way to add flavour and punch to a breakfast or snack. Blackberries are small and mighty fruits, containing high amounts of Vitamin C and K which are powerful antioxidants, supporting the immune system and bone health. From late summer until November you can also pick your own blackberries from hedgerows and freeze to use throughout the year.
- Put the berries into a saucepan with the cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg with a tablespoon of water and the honey.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the berries have become soft and stewed in appearance.
- Add more water as it cooks if necessary.
- Add the ground almonds, mix together and serve with plain, live yoghurt
- Grate over lemon zest and sprinkle the seeds on top.
- 100g blackberries
- ½ tablespoon of honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 cloves
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds