Black Bean Sweet Potato Chilli
Black beans boast a number of nutritional benefits, including helping to stabilise blood sugar levels. Like all legumes, they are particularly rich in dietary fibre and complex carbohydrates. Sweet potatoes are a brilliant source of beta-carotene which is important for healthy eyesight and bone development. The sweet potato brings richness and a sweet-spicy flavour to this dish, which is likely to satisfy even the greatest meat lovers.
- Bake sweet potatoes at 175C degrees until slightly firm, but not soft. When cool, peel and dice into 3/4 inch cubes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in soup pot or Dutch oven. Add garlic and onion and sauté over medium heat until golden brown.
- Chop chillies and add, along with remaining ingredients, except for coriander, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potatoes and continue to simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes. Add salt to taste. Taste improves if allowed to stand for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Reheat and serve with chopped coriander for garnish.
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-2 small fresh hot chillies
- 125g chopped onion
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- Diced salt to taste
- 2 x 425g cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Fresh coriander for garnish (optional)